You’re told it’s going to be so hot and humid that you need to be prepared to sweat like a pig? Uh, not so much today. It’s cold and it’s raining where I am. So much for that; which means that my pain level is pretty high today, but I’m still chugging along.
Before my bleed, I spent over a decade working as an Emergency Medical Technician, which required a keen attention to detail and multi-tasking skills. I had to. Sometimes, people’s lives depended on the actions I took or did not take. I was all about “saving lives and making a difference”. I look back now, with sadness sometimes, knowing that I will never be able to work on an ambulance again.
But on some level, it’s OK. While I may no longer be saving lives, I still, in my own way, am trying to make a difference. I want to make a difference for myself and for other fledgling writers who are testing the waters, trying to find out where we go from here.
I recently got my doctor ordered ERMI shoulder flexionator machine, which helps the movement of my left shoulder. I use it regularly in addition to my physical therapy. It’s in what used to be the home office. It’s a hideous contraption; looks like some sort of miniature torture device. Now I just basically work out of my room with my laptop, Kindle and Android phone side by side. (Gotta keep working on the multi-tasking skills!)
I’ve finally learned to some degree how to use bitly; although I won’t punish any of you right now by sending you all to Neverland accidentally. I still arm wrestle with WordPress because I still have problems getting to know some of the concepts of making my page looking the way I’d like it to. Keep checking. It’ll get there eventually. As always, when needed, I fall back on my mentors Marilyn Parel and Ashley Barron, who have always supported me since I started on Twitter and my Blog.
Anyway, I have just a few more resources I’d like to share with you all today. I write when I can sit at the computer and research on my Kindle when I have to stand. God, I love technology. As you all know by now, occasionally my focus is a bit off, and I apologize if I repeated any of these. I don’t think I have though.
- Create Your Own Website Using WordPress (free on Amazon)
- Guide to Choosing a Self-Publishing Service 2013 (Kindle Edition, $4.97 on Amazon) Authors: Ben Galley, Mick Rooney, Editor: Orna Ross, Intro: Victoria Strauss. *The Guide gives you skills and info to comparison shop for services and warns you of dangers, who and what to look out for. Info from ALLi (Alliance of Independent Authors) and Writers Beware!.* I’ve already purchased and downloaded the book, but have NOT read it yet. I will be sure to pass along any valuable info I have learned.
- The Emotion Thesaurus-A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression (Kindle Edition, 4.99 on Amazon), by Becca Puglisi and Angela Ackerman. From the description: “One of the biggest problem areas for writers is conveying a character’s emotions to the reader in a unique and compelling way. This book comes to the rescue by exploring seventy-five emotions and listing possible body language cues, thoughts, and visceral responses for each”. I bought this book a while ago and it has been priceless for me. I don’t know what I’d do without it. It certainly helps me when I find myself occasionally at a loss for a word or two.
###A NOTE TO ALL MY READERS: I would just like to say that the only reason I mention Amazon and their pricing is that I am a Kindle owner and obtain all my books from them. I am not at all familiar with the Nook or any other reading device but am sure these same titles are available from other sellers. This is in no way a push for Amazon.###
These blogs have also been helpful to me and I particularly enjoy reading them.
- Maggie Madly Writing here on WP (maasmith.com)
- Melissa Janda here on WP (melissajanda.wordpress.com)
- The Blabbermouth-Linda P. Epstein here on WP (theblabbermouthblog.com)
That’s all for today fellow bloggers. I hoped I helped a few people, or even just ONE. 🙂 I will continue to write, research, recover, and win the battle with WordPress! Anyone willing to help me out, I would appreciate it so much! If you will notice, some of my older posts had some pictures above them; now I’ve forgotten how I did it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. THANK YOU ALL and have a great rest of the day.